My 2019 New Years Resolutions
Our family rule is that you don’t have to elaborate your Resolutions until the first business day of the year. This year, that won’t be until January 14 for me, and I just can’t wait that long.
Before I get to the goals themselves, let me describe my process this year. First, I made a list of projects I have underway. Not just good ideas, these are the actual projects I’ve started or started planning (like buying fabric for a sewing project). Then I made a list of what I’d like to do more of in 2019 and a separate list of what I want to do less of.
More: reading, writing, sewing, moving, finishing and putting myself “out there,” whatever that means.
Less: social media and other distraction apps, driving my car, feeling bad about my body and scratching my head (a terrible habit I have).
Then I made a list of a few good things that happened this year. I did this mentally and I’m not sure whether it’s relevant, but remembering that good things are both planned and unplanned was helpful.
Okay, so here they are:
- Finish my writing projects. To do this, I’m trying 85k90, which is 85000 words in 90 days (from Jan 1-Mar 30), and all my writing counts. Blogs, work, fiction, memoir. All of it.
- One sewing project per month.
- Read a book for 10 minutes each day.
- Break up with my phone. Not completely, of course, but I’m deleting FB and Twitter and a few other apps and then I’ll try next steps.
- Reduce drinking month over month. I’m wildly inconsistent in how much I drink, so my first order of business is tracking that. And then trying to do better month after month.
- Drive my car less frequently. It’s absurd how often I jump in the car to go short distances and I hate that. As with drinking, I’m going to track and then figure out my barriers to walking/planning/getting deliveries.
- Add back 2 days of exercise each week. I spent much of 2018 being stationary because of plantar fasciitis, but I’m feeling better and need to get back in action. I need it for my body and my mental health.
- Gonna push harder on spousal dates this year.